- Prep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add mushrooms and bay leaves. Combine the tomatoes, onion, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir in cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice meat across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor’s Note: This is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.